Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I...I...I...IKEA!!!

Last night, Mrs Humble and I decided that we needed a coffee table that would suit our new house, so we went to Ikea. As per usual, I was kinda ho-hum about going. Not that there is anything wrong with Ikea...it's just not my favourite place to be.

That is, until last night.

In general, shopping carts only have two wheels that can change direction. It's just like a car: the back wheels are locked straight, while the front two can rotate in order to make the necessary turns. As well, at least one of these four wheels has a rock stuck in it so it won't roll at all.

The Ikea shopping cart, on the other hand, has all four wheels that can rotate, which means unparalleled maneuverability. You could push it sideways if you wanted! Plus, all four wheels rolled effortlessly. To top things off, since we were at Ikea so late in the day, the place was damn near empty.

What choice did I have? I had to do freestyle shopping cart, much to the dismay and embarrassment of Mrs Humble. Trust me, you won't believe how much fun it is until you try it. "Oh, what? We have to make a left turn now? Well, I'll just spin this cart in a quick 270° turn, then whip it around for a reverse 360° and we'll be on our way."

Seriously, I want an Ikea shopping cart for Christmas.

Anyway, we got our stuff home, and I assembled all of our new purchases. I've heard that some people actually have a problem assembling stuff from Ikea. Personally, I've never had a problem, but I can understand why some people might get a bit frustrated. Hell, one of the first diagrams tells you to stare at the box looking confused.

For those few people who can't get past this stage, you should look at like this: Ikea furniture is like Lego for adults. If you can't follow the instructions, then you can probably still build something pretty cool instead and call it your own. I just wouldn't recommend sitting on it, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home