Friday, August 12, 2005

Mr Humble Guy on Dieting

Okay, I need to get this out in the open right off the bat: I'm not overweight, and I don't have a lot of fat on me.

That being said, I'm also on a high protein, low fat diet right now. The reason for this is that the bit of fat that I do have is right on my belly, meaning I don't have the rock-hard tasty abs look that I want. And even though that I've been working out almost four times a week for the last few months, I haven't noticed much of an improvement in my belly area. Thus, the specialized diet.

I've been on it for about a week now, and I have so much sympathy for anyone struggling to stay on a diet. I'm thinking about food constantly, which is making me hungry all the time! I feel like Peter off of "Family Guy" when he asks the network executive, "Are you gonna eat that stapler?"

And I've heard tons of advice that doesn't work:

  • Protein will make you feel full for longer. Well, it's supposed to, but I've been eating five ounces of protein-rich food (like salmon and tuna) at every meal in addition to all the other stuff I have to eat...and I'm still hungry
  • Eat slower, and you'll feel more full. Yeah, I tried that. I even tried stretching a meal over an hour long period. It just made my food cold, and I was still hungry afterwards.
  • Eat more fiber, and you'll feel more full, plus it helps keep you regular. Unfortunately, I tried this. And yes, it did make me feel more full...for a while. This is where the "keeping me regular" part comes in. Yes, it did keep me regular. At regular five-minute intervals, I was running the the can to release some of the most explosive diarrhea known to man. In a choice between being hungry and having concentrated liquid evil shooting out my ass, I choose being hungry.

Anyway, my diet took a huge hit yesterday. I was doing a bunch of home reno work to surprise Mrs Humble, and I worked up a hunger that 5 ounces of tuna, 2 slices of rye bread, 1 cup romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup sliced carrots, 2 tbsp of fat-free dressing, and an cup of orange juice just couldn't fill. No, this was a hunger that only a pizza and a half could fill, and believe me, I enjoyed every grease-laden bite of it.


PS: The diet has actually been working so far. I have lost a few pounds already, and provided that I don't have anymore pizza episodes, I'll hopefully notice a difference in my waist by the end of the month.

4 Comments:

At 4:31 p.m., Blogger Keith said...

I find that being a fat bastard, and sitting at a computer eight hours a day is way cooler than exercising and eating right.

Let me tell you something, and this is straight from the heart: Dieting is for fags and pussies, and chicks dig man boobs.

What's more, You already have a Mrs. Humble, so I would suggest trying to keep your appearance at the "not bad enough to divorce" point.

Peace.

 
At 4:33 p.m., Blogger mr_humble_guy said...

Okay, a bit of a clarification on a few things

1. Admittedly, the whole "fiber" incident was a few years ago, and I haven't been willing to try again. It was actually back when I was eating somewhat healthy (living at home), so I don't think it was a huge switch in my diet. It might be worth trying again, though. Plus, you're right in the fact that I should be snacking more.

2. In the months that I've been working out, I've noticed huge results. It's just my abs that aren't showing the results that I'd hoped for.

Thanks for the tips, though!

 
At 4:36 p.m., Blogger mr_humble_guy said...

And for Keith: man boobs are totally out of the question. But you may have something with the whole "not bad enough to divorce" point.

 
At 12:26 a.m., Blogger The Corporal said...

It's all crap Humble...

Exercise, Run, Work Out. And, just eat less.

THAT works the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home