Friday, March 18, 2005

A fantastic hair cutting experience...

When you go months between haircuts, your hair tends to get a bit shaggy at times. I try to make the most of my haircut by changing the way that I style my hair depending on how long it's been since my last cut. When it's really short, I comb it all forward and mess it up in the front. When it gets a bit longer, I comb it back and let it fall a bit to the sides. Finally, when that doesn't work anymore, I just stop combing it all together. If I didn't have such a pretty face, I'd look downright bum-like at this stage.

So I decided to get my hair cut yesterday during my lunch hour. I have my usual place that I go to because they're cheap and there's not usually a line up. Regardless, I leave a few minutes early to get there before any possible lunch hour rush. Sure enough, when I arrive, there is only one person getting their hair cut, so they sit me down right away.

My stylist also happens to be the manager. I'm thinking that this is great, since she's obviously been doing this for a long time if she's the manager. She's probably really fast and talented, and her excellence in her field is why she's now in a top position. That means I'm in for a fantastic hair cutting experience.

Yes, I actually thought this. And it's thoughts like these that usually go horribly wrong and end up as blog posts...

She was slow. Very slow. So slow that I didn't want to talk to her for fear of slowing her down more. So slow that I was worried my hair would have grown out again by the time she was finished.

Also, she claimed that she wasn't racist, but she kept making racist comments. A few examples:

Stylist: So my son is in a basketball tournament for college. They have teams from all over North America playing at this tournament. And I'll tell ya, there's only one black person on the Grant MacEwan team, but when I walked into the gym and saw all of the players on the other teams, I was like, "Geez, are the lights out?" Everyone was black!
________________________________________________________

Stylist: I heard that if you adopt a Native baby, there are a bunch of legal hoops that you have to jump through...it's like your duty to teach them about their culture. That's why I couldn't ever adopt a black or a brown baby. I wouldn't know what to teach them about their culture! I don't know anything about Africa or where they came from! Do you think if you adopt a German baby, you have to teach them about Hitler? The country is nothing but a bunch of terrorists.

Wow.

To make things worse, she didn't brush me off when she was done, or even style my hair for that matter. I had to run home and vacuum myself off because I was covered in hair clippings, then use my own styling gel to make my hair look good. I was not impressed. Good thing I don't have to go back for another four months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home