Monday, December 12, 2005

Analog Illiterate...

The strap on my Timex sports watch broke just the other day, so I've taken to wearing my fancy dress watch as my everyday watch. Unlike my cheap digital Timex, my dress watch is an expensive, classy analog beauty. I figured that eventually I'd get around to buying a new strap for the Timex, but since my dress watch looked so damn good, I might just make it my everyday watch.

Then someone asked me what time it was.

Without even looking at it, I told them that my watch was broken and I was unaware of the correct time.

You see, I believe that there is an acceptable response time for that particular question, which is about four seconds. Four seconds is probably pushing it, but we'll say that it is acceptable. If someone asks you what time it is and you take more than four seconds of looking at your watch to reply, then they are legally allowed to brand you as "special".

After having a digital watch for most of my life, I'd gotten so used to seeing the time that way that I've pretty much become "analog illiterate". Sure, I could have told him the time, but it would have taken about a minute of me staring at my wrist like there is Japanese written on it.

Mr Humble Guy doesn't want people to think of him as "special".

To be completely honest, it's not as bad as I make it out to be. I can read time on an analog watch. It's just that I'm not used to having to read time on an analog watch. What took me a fraction of a second before now takes me at least ten seconds. But at least I'm getting better. When I first put it on, I had this little exchange with myself.

Mr Humble Guy: Hmm, what time is it?
Mr Humble Guy checks watch
Mr Humble Guy: Hmm, okay.
Mr Humble Guy walks to the kitchen to check the time on the microwave

I'm thinking that I should just follow Brad's advice and draw a watch on my wrist that is always set to "GO TIME".

3 Comments:

At 9:34 a.m., Blogger rebecca marie said...

you should totally look for one of these bad boys. they were comprised of awesome.

 
At 12:05 p.m., Blogger Keith said...

I too am comprised entirely of awesome.

 
At 7:29 p.m., Blogger rebecca marie said...

that picture. oh man. seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home