Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Garbage Sales and the Court...

It was Spring Cleanup time in the Humble household this past week, and there was a lot of crap that we had to get rid of. We had so much junk that we needed to dispose of that we could hardly fit it all in the car. With a vehicle filled to capacity with useless trash, there is only one place to go...

Of course, I'm talking about my hometown's annual Charity Garage Sale. Those of you who thought I was taking it to the dump have obviously never seen what stupid stuff people will buy from a garage sale. I swear you could sell a toothbrush at a garage sale if you waited long enough.

Anyways, we stuff all of our junk in the car and head on our way to my hometown of Whitecourt, Alberta. Whitecourt is growing all the time, which is really nice to see, but every once in awhile I'm reminded of what a redneck place it can be. This brings me to the real reason why I'm writing today.

The Charity Garage Sale was taking place at one of the elementary schools in town. The highest grade taught at this school was Grade 3. As we pulled into the parking lot, my eyes caught a pair of signs that each said, "This stall is reserved for students, 8:00am - 4:30pm, Mon-Fri".

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't think that eight or nine year old kids would need their own parking spaces. It kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? Are kids riding their Power Wheels to school? Or if they're older, how could someone afford a vehicle if they couldn't even make it past the third grade? I know that a lot of jobs can be mindless at times, but I think most of them require at least a third grade education. Also, is parking that much in demand? For a school where the highest grade taught is Grade 3, you would think that having even one designated student parking stall would be more than sufficient.

It's little things like this that really make me proud of my hometown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home