Thursday, November 10, 2005

Le French Riots...(hwah hwah hwah)

As I'm sure you've heard, there has been rioting in France for about two weeks now. Nothing but firebombing and clashes with police for fourteen days. I'll be honest, I didn't care enough to look up the reason why they're rioting. I mean, come on...they're French.

What I did notice, however, was the measures that France has undertook to quell the violence. This is the most violence that France has seen in about forty years, and the government is not taking it lightly. In fact, I was shocked at the severity of the French government's actions.

They imposed a curfew.

Well hallelujah! France is saved!

But seriously, what is that supposed to do?

Pierre: Listen, Jacques. I had a great time torching those cars and throwing rocks at those riot police, but it's almost 10:00pm! Blowing up stuff is one thing, but breaking curfew is just going too far!

Jacques: You're right, Pierre. Geez...breaking curfew...we could get a ticket for that!

5 Comments:

At 2:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the band Quiet Riot from the late 80's early 90's. Ah what great mullet rock. But I digress....So where who is the France guy? Sounds kind of girly to me.

 
At 10:30 p.m., Blogger Chuck said...

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't just surrender and offer the rioters the keys to Paris!

Hey man, like your blog. Pretty damn funny. Been reading a little of it tonight. While I can't agree with your post about Star Wars (it was hilarious though) I did like the union post. You sure you're not from the Southern US?

 
At 10:56 p.m., Blogger mr_humble_guy said...

Glad you're enjoying your stay, Chuck, though I'm disappointed that you can't see the logic in my Star Wars complaint ;)

And yes, I'm pretty sure that I'm quite Canadian. Like Captain Howdy Girl, I took French in school for 8 years and the only thing I can remember is "Ce soir, je suis dormir avec un cheval à côté de le discothèque". Not exactly sure what it means...something about the theory of relativity I think.

 
At 7:43 a.m., Blogger mr_humble_guy said...

Oh, that's right. I wasn't in just any French class, I was in French Bestiality 102: History and Future of Horse Relations.

On second thought, I'm really not sure why I took that class...

 
At 9:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes the French can be as "France" and "everything French" is better than all of you, but don't we Americans/Canadians do the same.

I've had a French student live with us, and last year, a Muslim Pakistani for the school year.

It seems there's a whole lot of French people that don't fit the media stereo type in any way shape or form. Just like here.

And the Muslim experience, getting into their minds is a whole new experience. We have a 1000 times more in common with the French, and I don't care which French person. Even Canadian French people.

One time the Pakistani says re having tons of children/no birth control: "we believe god will provide" and I flung back at him "and how is that working in Benglesh?" (you know--poverty city)
Then months later he says "Ive decided I'm only going to have two children" and I fling back, "ah great, and how are you going to accomplish that? Quit having sex?"



The rioting is because of poverty and lack of opportunity, and a lack of mixing between communities, a lack of sharing of ideas, etc, leading to major "chips on shoulders". If they were all working, they wouldn't have time to riot. '

If they had something to actually live for, they wouldn't attach a bomb to their belt buckle and set it off.

This problem can't be laughed away. The bombs will someday, come here.
Again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home