Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Jasper silliness...

I took last Friday off so Mrs Humble and I could have an extra long weekend in Jasper. She had rented a B&B just outside of the park, so we were pretty excited about doing some hiking and sightseeing and whatnot.

Long story short: the B&B was wonderful, scenery was beautiful, blah blah blah. Onto the funny stuff...




As we often do when we're driving through Jasper, we saw a lot of wildlife. Here was one exchange we had during one such encounter:

Mr Humble Guy: Look, a doe.
Mrs Humble: A deer.
Mr Humble Guy: ...a female deer...
Mrs Humble: ...
Mr Humble Guy: ...

Mr Humble Guy and Mrs Humble spontaneously break into song...




Later on, when driving through Hinton in search of a decent place to eat, we happened upon a place called Vic's. The large sign out front advertised:

Steak...

Mr Humble Guy: Mmm...

...Pasta...

Mr Humble Guy: Mmm Mmm...

...and Curry...

Mr Humble Guy: ...Huh?

Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a very worldly-cultured guy, but that combination just seems odd to me. You just don't see those words together that often, especially around where I grew up. Maybe if I liked curry more...




So on our way home, we had to pass through Edson. After a few days of stopping at nearly every campsite we could find to check out the hiking trails, my eyes had been trained to catch every sign for a campsite even as we drove home. We were a few minutes east of Edson when I saw a campsite sign, and I had a good laugh when I found out the campsite was named "East Of Edson".

I'm going out on a limb here, but I kinda get the feeling that they didn't think too hard about naming their campground. Now maybe I'm wrong. It does have a name that makes you want to stay there, doesn't it? Why would you stay at a "Mountain Stream" or "Douglas Fir Cove" when you could stay at "East of Edson"? Or maybe they got tired of giving people directions? I could just imagine how often this joke gets told...

Potential Camper: So, whereabouts are you guys located?
East Of Edson: Just East of Edson. Hehehe!

Hehehe...I want to bash my head in with a hammer just thinking about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home