Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Посмотрите Ma! Я говорю русского!

So an opportunity came up recently that I couldn't pass up. You see, I like video games, movies, and pretty much anything else that keeps me from moving or thinking a lot. The problem is that sometimes this gets expensive. DVDs are right around $20, and video games can be over $60. It all adds up to a broke Mr. Humble Guy. However, a contact through work, who happens to be Ukrainian, told us that he can order movies and video games (PC, PS2, Xbox...whatever) from the Ukraine for like $2 each. And they're in English! So I'm thinking, "Probably ripped copies, but I don't care. Time to watch my ass grow!" We make a big list of movies and games that we all wanted, but we just order a few to make sure that they work.

Fast forward to me going into Best Buy and laughing at all those poor suckers standing in line to spend hundreds of dollars on movies and games. Those idiots! Everyone is stupid except me!

It takes a little over a month, but the package came in yesterday...

I started to think things might not be right when I noticed that the movies were shipped in a Ukrainian donut box...

I really thought things weren't going to turn out the way that I'd hoped when I noticed that the movies had titles like "Страх и loathing в Las Vegas" and "уравновешение"...

I knew that that I got screwed when the movie wouldn't even play in my DVD player.

I finally did get the movies to play, but I had to put them into my laptop. The menus were all in Russian, but through trial and error, I found a way to shut off the monotonous Russian overdubs, however there is NO way to get rid of the subtitles.

On the plus side, the Star Wars movie came with a funny little quirk...the cover featured a Jedi in a Storm Trooper helmet holding a lightsaber. "Используйте усилие, Luke" indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home